Monday, October 02, 2006

First 5K


Rowan ran her first 5K yesterday (Sunday) in the Canterbury Run/Walk for Literacy. She's pictured above before the run with her friend, Courtney. We'd signed the girls up as walkers and they were going to walk with us moms. They wanted to run, as they both need to log 60 minutes a week of running for soccer training. I didn't anticipate that they'd run the whole 5K though. They did great, coming into the finish a few minutes before us. We walked it at a good clip. While I've become Rowan's running buddy for soccer training, I am not up for a 5K run yet; a good fast 5K walk was my speed.

As I came across the finish line and saw our rosy cheeked girl, calmly sitting on the curb, eating a banana and drinking water, I thought "wow, what a kid" and also thought how lucky she is to be able to try these things out and notice her own successes.

She wants to know when there is a run for math literacy (there is one called the Pi run in the spring) and she wants to be signed up as a runner, not a walker next time.

4 comments:

Prussian-Tea said...

Wow, way to go Rowan [and mommies!]. I'm winded after a 1 K walk/run. I'm impressed!

Unknown said...

Congrats to Rowan! What an accomplishment! You go girl!

Betsy said...

Hooray for Rowan!

Anonymous said...

Great job, Rowan! I am very impressed. Keep up the good work!